The WOW and WONDER of Learning!
Welcome friends and supporters of the ELGIN MATH & SCIENCE ACADEMY, our proposed charter school!
PLEASE BE PATIENT AS WE UPDATE OUR WEBSITE FOR FALL 2016!
If approved by District U-46, the Elgin Math and Science Academy (EMSA) will be a K-8 charter school based upon an Expeditionary Learning model, now known as EL Education. The math and science focus will be enhanced by arts integration in every expedition. EMSA will bring the Wow and Wonder to Learning:
- Benefits children of all backgrounds.
- Engages parents, community leaders & experts in support of student learning.
- Implements field work, project-based learning, and community service.
- Generates critical thinking, problem-solving & teamwork.
Regrouped in 2016, the Elgin Charter School Initiative (the “parent” group for EMSA) is a member of the Illinois Network of Charter Schools and a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our goal is open the charter school for grades K-4 by the fall of 2018. Then we will add a grade each year until we reach K-8.
What is a Charter School?
- Charter schools are public schools that are allowed the freedom to be more innovative while being held accountable for advancing student achievement.
- They establish their own curricula, calendar, staffing, and all educational programming.
- Any child who lives in a district with an authorized charter school is eligible to attend.
- Charters do not charge tuition and do NOT have special entrance requirements.
What is our vision?
EMSA will inspire a diverse group of learners to develop century math and science skills with the confidence 21st needed to think critically and act with intention and purpose. Students hold high standards for their own work and approach problems with curiosity, creativity, and insight to seek innovative solutions to real-world problems. Teachers and staff model our core values, especially lifelong learning and continual improvement. We embrace diversity in both our student population and our staff. We foster partnerships with the larger community and strive to be financially self-sustaining. EMSA families are central to our community and are engaged and supported as a key to the success of our school.
We welcome and encourage involvement and input from the community and those interested in bringing a math and science charter school to Elgin. To contact the design team, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help us determine interest in the Elgin Math and Science Academy! Please complete the brief survey below:
The Elgin Charter School Initiative is a member of the Illinois Network of Charter Schools (“INCS” www.incschools.org), is incorporated in the State of Illinois, and is a 501(c)(3) non-profit.