What is “JEDI”? Justice. Equity. Diversity. & Inclusion
Creating a school community that thrives with social justice at its heart is key at the Elgin Math and Science Academy Charter School.
Justice is an action that is driven by: equity for students, staff, and stakeholders, embracing diversity, and the act of inclusion.
- Student-centered classrooms that are culturally responsive and differentiated for students’ needs.
- All students are encouraged to advocate for themselves and their families, each other, their communities, and the ecosystem.
- All crew members can develop an understanding of our school’s ecosystem and are mindful of its impact in relation to the communities they reside in.
- All students have opportunities for academic and social growth.
- The social emotional development for all students is emphasized through various school-based activities and supports.
- Restorative practices are utilized as a means to repair and rebuild relationships.
- Students, staff and stakeholders are seen and heard.
- All EMSA families have equitable access to engage with the school community.
- School works with Greater Elgin and surrounding communities to ensure that families have access to applying for the school lottery.
Diversity Means …
- We seek to understand the diversity of the land we thrive on and the impact of the land on the diverse communities we are from.
- The home culture and language of students and staff is valued and embraced.
- We honor the diverse abilities of students.
- All family structures are recognized.
- Students affirm their identities and learn about the backgrounds of their peers.
Inclusion Means …
- All students are provided the opportunity to be leaders of their own learning.
- All students, staff, and stakeholders are encouraged to engage in our crew.
- All students have opportunities to participate in environmental advocacy and stewardship.
- All students are supported and invited to participate in the social and extracurricular life at EMSA.
- All families are welcome to be involved in schoolwide family functions at EMSA.